While we can thank magazines, blogging, instagram & pinterest for inspiring us to up our entertaining game, the truth of the matter is that most of us feel intimidated by the competitive sport of tablescaping. Yes, we know we need layer upon layer to make the dinner table sing a festive tune, but most of us aren't boasting a cabinet full of tabletop accents. It's the details, after all, that set the lifestyle gurus apart from us mere mortals.
While I've always fancied myself as a glam entertainer, I can identify in detail the missing pieces in my tabletop repertoire. Chargers, for one. I'd love to have a few sets on hand. A wardrobe of coordinating napkins & table runners are another missing link. Vases & place markers are other elements I could use more of in my arsenal of decorative weapons.
As if reading my mind (or perhaps just the market) Sparkle & Dine launched their "tabletop in a box" concept last year. They take all the guesswork out of your decor planning by offering coordinated kits in a range of styles making you look like the belle of the entertaining ball.
SHOP THE TABLESCAPE
Other entertaining essentials I hope to add to my collection this year? I've been working on a mental list and it's time I formalized my acquisition plans. Frankly, I think I'm a little obsessed with Lisa Vanderpump and her rosy (or should I say rosé?) filled home and enterprises. Thanks to all those RHOBH scenes filmed at her flawless home and Villa Blanca restaurant I'm craving more silver (real silver, mind you) in my life and a host of other elegant French inspired goodies.
MY 2015 ENTERTAINING ACCESSORY WISH LIST
- An impressive champagne bucket (or two!)
- A collection of silver platters (and on my more aspirational days, a butler to fetch them for me)
- Stemware!!! Although I personally don't drink the vino, it's clear I need to up my wine glass & water goblet game.
- More table linens. You know by now I love me some Kim Seybert embellished goodness, but I'm craving simple white linens. Soft, fabulous white hemstitched linen runners and napkins sound just dreamy.
- This magnificent piece for storage in my dining room. (I die!)
- More flatware. Seriously... who keeps stealing my forks???
- More tiered serving pieces. These instantly make your surfaces look more magical and your food more enticing. Trust me on this.
What about you? Do you have entertaining tricks up your sleeve? Are you of the "invite eight strangers to dinner and see what happens" variety? I'd love to hear (read?) your finest hostess secrets.